About City Council
The City of Allen operates under a council-manager form of government as approved by voters in 1979 through the adoption of the Allen City Charter. The Home Rule Charter for the City of Allen provides that the Allen City Council shall consist of the mayor and six council members elected by numbered places and are elected at-large by the registered voters of Allen to serve three-year, staggered terms of office. Each member of the Allen City Council serves citywide.
Send a Message to City Council
- To send a message the Mayor and Council, email Council@CityofAllen.org
Letters, Proclamations, Events
Council QualificationsAccording to the City of Allen Charter Article II, Section 2.02 and Chapter 141 of the Texas Election Code, a City Council candidate must:
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be a qualified voter of the City of Allen for at least six (6) months at the time of filing;
- Be a resident of the City of Allen for at least one year immediately preceding their election;
- Hold no other elected office or appointed public office or position of emolument, except as authorized by state law;
- have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
totally mentally incapacitated; or
partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote; and
- have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.