Sidewalk Replacement Program
Allen property owners are responsible for maintaining sidewalks on both residential and commercial properties. The City of Allen offers a 50/50 cost split on sidewalk repairs to qualifying owner-occupied homes; in this agreement, the property owner pays 50% of the cost and the City pays 50%.
Property owners who meet low-to-moderate income criteria may be eligible for a 75/25 cost split, in which the property owner pays 25% and the City pays 75%.
Sidewalk Replacement Criteria
View the complete City ordinance concerning sidewalk maintenance responsibility, liability and cost-shared repairs.
- The property is residential and is owner-occupied
- Sidewalk is located within the City of Allen Street Right-Of-Way
- Sidewalk sections to be replaced shall be a minimum of 8 linear feet in length
- Sidewalk has surface spalling with a depth of one-quarter (1/4) inch or greater, and covers 50% or more of the area in question
- Sidewalk sections are up heaved or depressed causing an abrupt change in grade of 40% or more [2 inches vertical in 10 inches horizontal] or creates an unsafe condition as determined by the Director of Community Services or his designee
- Sidewalk sections are broken with pieces missing
Low-to-Moderate Income Qualifications
The City offers a shared cost of 75% for sidewalk repair (the property owner pays the other 25%) if the property owner meets either of the following income criteria:
- Homeowner qualifies as low-to-moderate income per the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development guidelines, or;
- Homeowner currently resides in one of five neighborhoods designated as low-to-moderate income based on 2020 Census data
The City's Community Enhancement Department is responsible for qualifying residents for the low-to-moderate income sidewalk replacement assistance. Call 214.509.4175 for an application.
- Who determines whether my sidewalk qualifies for cost-shared repairs?
To determine qualification, applicants should schedule an inspection with City of Allen by calling 214.509.4500 or send a sidewalk service request using MyAllen (see current sidewalk fees). The sidewalk must be an owner-occupied residential property.
- What if my sidewalk does not qualify for cost-shared repairs?
Applicants who do not qualify for cost-shared sidewalk repair may hire their own contractor. The contractor must first obtain a right-of-way permit from the Engineering Department at Allen City Hall (first floor) or by calling 214.509.4583. Utility lines also must be marked prior to construction.
The location and width of the residential sidewalk must remain the same unless otherwise approved by the City. Existing sidewalks cannot be removed and not replaced.
- My sidewalk qualifies for shared cost by the City. What happens next?
If a sidewalk qualifies for replacement, the property owner will receive a construction contract from City of Allen detailing the repair. The owner must sign and return the contract with payment of their total share of costs before the work is scheduled. Work is scheduled in the sequence the contracts and payments are received. Repairs are completed as quickly as possible. The work is performed by City workers or a City-hired contractor.
City of Allen performs quality control on all repairs. Any issues with repairs due to incidental impacts, including irrigation system issues, on private property must be referred to the City for resolution.
- My sidewalk qualifies for shared cost, but I prefer to hire my own contractor. What next?
If a sidewalk qualifies for cost-shared repair, but the applicant prefers to contract the work entirely at their personal expense, they may do so. However, they must first obtain a right-of-way permit from the Engineering Department at Allen City Hall (first floor) or by calling 214.509.4583. Utility lines also must be marked prior to construction. The location and width of the residential sidewalk replaced must remain the same unless otherwise approved by the City. Existing sidewalks cannot be removed and not replaced.
- How does the City determine which contractor to use for cost-shared sidewalk repairs?
The City competitively bids for sidewalk repair services. We select the lowest-cost contractor that has a proven record of success on these types of projects. Bid prices offered by contractors in the competitive bid process are generally lower in cost for the City organization than would be offered to an individual homeowner bidding for sidewalk repair. This is because getting the contract provides them with hundreds of sidewalk jobs to complete annually.
Sidewalk Replacement ProgramPhysical Address
Allen City Hall, First Floor
305 Century Parkway
Allen, TX 75013
Questions about Sidewalk Repair Program
Questions about Sidewalk Repair Assistance for Low-to-Moderate Income